Florida. Greek sponge fleet, 1931, 1935

Files

Title

Florida. Greek sponge fleet, 1931, 1935

Description

In 1905, the first Greek colony was established in Tarpon Springs. By the end of 1906, 1,500 Greek sponge divers and workers had arrived in Tarpon Springs. The sponge industry grew in the 1920s and 1930s with a fleet of about 200 ships. In 1936, Tarpon Springs became recognized as the sponge capital of the world, and more than 2,000 Greeks had moved to the area. In 1946, a disease (red tide) attacked and killed almost all of the sponges. 16mm film shot by D.J. Angus while on a family trip in 1931 and 1935. [2:01]

Date

1931, 1935

Rights

Publisher

Grand Valley State University. University Libraries. Special Collections & University Archives

Identifier

RHC-04_DJAM-FL05-Greekfleet

Format

video/mp4

Type

Moving Image

Language

eng

Citation

Angus, Donald James (D.J.), “Florida. Greek sponge fleet, 1931, 1935,” Digital Collections, accessed May 22, 2022, https://digitalcollections.library.gvsu.edu/document/23763.
Suggest a correction to our metadata.


report a problem with this page