You can suggest corrections to the following fields for item Ostar, Allan W (Interview outline and video), 2016.

You can also leave general comments or suggestions in the "comments" section. An administrator will review your contribution.

Thank you for taking the time to improve this site!

Please describe the nature of this correction, or anything about it that we should know. Thanks!

Check this box if it is okay for us to contact you about this correction.

An entity responsible for making contributions to the resource

Current data for Contributor

Smither, James (Interviewer)

An entity primarily responsible for making the resource

Current data for Creator

Ostar, Allan W.

A point or period of time associated with an event in the lifecycle of the resource

Current data for Date


An account of the resource

Current data for Description

Allan Ostar was born on September 4, 1924, in East Orange, New Jersey. He went to Pennsylvania State University in fall 1942 and joined the Reserve Officer's Training Corps, then joined the Enlisted Reserve Corps. He volunteered for active duty and was inducted at Fort Meade, Maryland. He received Basic Training, Radio Training, and Signal Corps Training at Camp Crowder, Missouri, then was selected for the Army Specialized Training Program. He received Engineering Training at the University of Denver and Regis College until the ASTP was disbanded. Allan then received orders to go to Camp Gruber, Oklahoma, to join the 42nd Infantry Division. He was initially assigned to K Company of the 242nd Infantry Regiment, then transferred to Headquarters Company, before winding up in the Cannon Company. In November 1944 the 42nd went to New York City for deployment to Europe. They arrived at Marseille, France, in late November/early December 1944 then traveled north to help the French defend Strasbourg and the Alsace-Lorraine. During "Operation Nordwind" he received a Bronze Star for staying behind to direct artillery fire and another Bronze Star in Hagenau. In March 1945 he crossed the Rhine River into Germany, and took part in the liberation of Dachau on April 29, 1945. At the end of the war he entered Austria, and served in Austria as part of the occupying force. He left Europe in late 1945 (or early 1946) and was discharged at Fort Dix, New Jersey.

A related resource from which the described resource is derived

Current data for Source

Veterans History Project collection, (RHC-27)

report a problem with this page